There isn’t anything magic about becoming a Christian. You can do it any time you feel that God is calling you (remember that still, small voice that I’ve written about). Do you feel like something is missing–that you are on the outside, looking in, that you feel that there is something more out there for you–if so, God may be working on your heart.
The process is easy–a lot of web sites show it as the ABC’s of Christianity.Admit, Believe, Confess. (Christians like nice, simple mantras to keep things straight)
1. Admit that you are a sinner and that you can not free yourself.
2. Believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that he died for your sins so that you might live.
3. Confess that you are a sinner and ask for forgiveness.
You can pray right now–on the Internet–to ask Jesus to come into your life. There isn’t any “Jesus approved prayer” –just talk to Him from your heart. If you want, you can try something like:
Dear Lord Jesus,
I know that I am a sinner and need Your forgiveness. I believe that You died for my sins. I want to turn from my sins. I now invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as Lord and Savior. Thank you for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Did you pray something like the above prayer? Did you accept Jesus Christ? God offers His assurance to us through His promises in the Bible:
“Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” Romans 10:13
So now what?
Today is the first day in a wonderful new life with Christ. You should now:
- Rejoice! Take a moment to embrace this new life that you are about to begin. Is your life going to be perfect? No, of course not. But you will not be alone. God is with you always and you now have a huge family of brothers and sisters in Christ who will offer up support.
- Pray: Talk to God in prayer every day. Remember–there isn’t any particular pray–just talk. Tell him how happy you are, how sad you are, how frustrate and grateful and angry and thrilled you are about everything.
- Learn: Read your Bible everyday to know Christ better. I suggest the New Testament. There are several daily devotional specially designed for your walk that can guide you through the Bible. Check
- Share: Tell others what Jesus Christ has done for you. This can be hard for new Christians which is why I recommend the next item:
- Find a church. Do you need to go to church if you’re a Christian? No, but it can be a great place to grow, fellowship and share your faith. If you are in the Dresher, PA area, consider coming by my church:Jarrettown United Methodist.